All Rights Reserved  © 2012  AMACWEBRITE   WEBSITE DESIGN SERVICES   Andrew McCarroll

Hannahstown Parish

Hannahstown came into being when wealthy Catholic landowner and cattle grazer, John Hamill gave an acre of land consecrated by Fr. Hugh O’Donnell, for a cemetery.

History

Worship began in this area around land

consecrated by a Fr Hugh O’Donnell in 1797.

Land here was donated by a wealthy Catholic

landowner called John Hamill - he originally

donated one acre of land to be used as a cemetery;

 his wife Hannah later donated money for a small

schoolhouse which was also used as the church

(it is likely that the area became known as

"Hannah's Town" as a result of this).


When the linen industry was established in

Ulster in the early 18th century Lisburn and

surrounding districts drew many families to

reside in the countryside around Hannahstown.

Hannahstown got its name from the fact that

 seven families with the name Hanna resided there.


In those days this district was more densely

populated than it is today. One could look up

at the hills and see small cottages occupied by

skilled craftsmen working in the linen trade.

They would till their patches of ground around

their dwellings.Before the construction of a

church mass was said wherever possible. There

are many mass rocks located in Colin's Glen and

a family named Steele kept the sacred vessels

and vestaments for the priests.



In 1826 John McGance of Suffolk, a Presbyterian

landowner gave the then Parish Priest of Hannahstown Fr Charles Hendron and acre of ground to enlarge the graveyard together with £20 towards a new church.…


(THIS EXTRACT TAKEN FROM THE BOOK: "A HISTORY OF THE PARISH OF ST.JOSEPH'S, HANNAHSTOWN" PRINTED BY ULSTER JOURNALS LTD)



RUSHLIGHT MAGAZINE: THE HISTORY OF HANNAHSTOWN